Sunday 6 July 2008

Cordoba and Jerez

Day 2 (30th June)

Took a day trip to Cordoba today. The main attraction is the Mezquita, one of the most important Islamic monument in Western Europe. It has about 900 granite and marble columns that supports hundreds of shaped arches. The intersting thing is that there is a cathedral in the center of the mosque, which was built when the Crusaders conquered Cordoba. And just around the Mezquita is the Judeira, where the Jewish resided. Apparently in those times the Jewish, Muslims and Christians would get together to debate and have dialogue about their faith. Imagine if we had that now, or built a church in a place where a mosque used to be. It would definately be the beginning of blood shed for sure.

Day 3 (1st July)


Today was spent in Jerez la Frontera. Haha...again I got lost in the town. The thing is it's rather small but it's a maze of small alleys and streets and this time I got lost on the way to the tourist information centre. Well it wasn't that bad since I discovered a local market and some high street shops. So I got sort of diverted and started window shopping, and well bought some stuff as well :). Anyway the main idea to go to Jerez was to go to the Jerez' School of Royal Equestrian Art to see the 'dancing horses' performance. Well I missed that (even if I didnt go shopping and didnt get lost I would have missed it, just for your info ok) so I went to one of the many Bodegas to see how sherry and brandy is made.

The bodegas I went to was called Tio Pepe or uncle Pepe and it's one of the oldest running bodegas. It also has a store that can hold 16.5 million barrels or litres, I can't remember of brandy and sherry. Apparently it's the largest and is in the Guiness Book of records. So after the tour we had sherry tasting. I'm not really a wine/sherry or any form of alcohol kind of person but I actually thought the sherry was good; sweet and fruity. But after like 3 glasses I started getting a whee bit dizzy and thought I better make my way home early today.





The night was spent with my new roommates. It's funny but we had alot of similarities. We were all far away from home, one from Brasil and another from NZ, studying in Europe. And we all just finished our studies and am wondering what is the next stage in life from here on. Haha so we got along pretty well.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

that's nice. i remember in rome sharing a room with 2 german girls - along with another brit couple and the girls had stinky feet:S you seem to have a better experience. so nice hearing your stories. feel like im there. which reminds me...i need to start writing before i forget. take care ok.

Anonymous said...

how did you find jerez? we were bored to tears there... haha. we went to the equestrian school, the horse dance show was not bad but not that great either so you didn't miss much. oh wesley fell asleep during the show so that tells you how exciting it was hehe. take care and travel safe!