Tuesday 5 August 2008

11th July

Interlaken



Interlaken is breathtaking. I walked out from the train station and the Swiss Alps were there to greet me, still covered in snow at the peak. I was so excited I couldn’t wait to go to the Jungfrau region, the highest peak in Europe. So I quickly rushed to get my stuff sorted but just then, the dark clouds came in and it started to pour. Well no point in going now so I decided to do some outdoor activity.

First choice, sky diving. Where other place better to do then overlooking the Swiss Alps right? But saw the price and said no way, maybe when I’m richer. The cheaper options were canyoning and white water rafting. Thought I can always do rafting in Malaysia so opted for canyoning. Mind you at that time I didn’t know what that was, the pictures looked good the video looked exciting and the receptionist highly recommended it. So in canyoning, you basically do bits of everything like abseiling down cliffs, sliding down natural slides (in the waterfalls) and jumping off rocks into the water. I met Brandon who was also from my hostel and was also traveling alone. That was good, because everyone else was in a big group so I had a buddy to help me along the way. The highlight of this adventure for me at least was jumping off a 20 feet high cliff into the waterfalls. I was so scared I tell you, I thought I would hit the rocks by the side. But I just stood at the edge and did something I shouldn’t have; I looked down. But I still jumped, more because I didn’t want to embarrass myself in front of all those people…hahaha. After that, Brandon told me that he thought I wouldn’t jump because my face changed immediately when I looked down, but hey I still did it. After me was a Korean girl, and you know what she didn’t do it!! Anyway after I jumped in, the guide came straight towards me and asked me if I was alright, and I was like yeap. Apparently I landed so close to the rocks that everyone thought I hit against it. Can you imagine that? My biggest fear was hitting that rock and of all people, I was the only one that missed the rock by inches.


In the evening, I went to Schuh Chocolatier, it’a basically a chocolate heaven for chocoholics like myself. Basically it was a tour to show us how they make their chocolates and of course, we get to taste and sample the chocolates. How cool it that . There were all sorts on the table, dark, milk, white, truffles with raspberry filling, peanut butter filling caramelized almonds and all sorts and we got to eat to our hearts delight. I loved it. And then, the chef asked me if I would like to help him make some truffles. Can you imagine that, of all the 30 something people he asked me, ME to be his personal assistant. He probably could see the glint of excitement in my eyes when I was looking at all the chocolate display.

Anyway I hope the weather will be good tomorrow so I can go to the peak of the Jungfrau mountain and admire the beautiful view from up there.

No comments: